6 Most Simple Travel Rewards Credit Cards
September 12, 2017
Editorial Disclaimer: Information in these articles is brought to you by CreditSoup. Banks, issuers, and credit card companies mentioned in the articles do not endorse or guarantee, and are not responsible for, the contents of the articles.
Have you ever read the terms and conditions of a frequent flyer program? These documents were clearly written by teams of lawyers, and sometimes you almost have to be a lawyer to figure out how to redeem your miles. If you’re fed up with trying to decipher these complicated “reward” programs, then perhaps it’s time you reconsider how you earn your rewards and which credit card you use.
Here are six of the most simple travel reward credit cards you can get:
1. Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®.This card offers double miles on all purchases, and you can redeem your miles for one cent each towards for any travel expense. You just book the travel you want, any way you want, and then redeem your miles for statement credits. You also get 5% of your miles back each time you redeem them. New cardholders can earn 40,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 within 90 days of account opening. There’s an $89 annual fee for this card, that’s waived the first year.
2. Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. Here’s another card that gives you double miles on all purchases, with miles that are worth one cent each as statement credits towards any travel purchase. New cardholders earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on their card within three months of account opening. There’s a $95 annual fee for this card that’s waived the first year.
3. Discover it Miles. This version of the popular Discover it card offers you 1.5 miles per dollar spent, and you can redeem your miles for one cent each towards travel statement credits, merchandise, gift cards or just cash back. At the end of your account’s first year, you receive a bonus equal to the number of miles you’ve already earned. This card also features a $20 annual credit towards in-flight Wifi purchases. There’s no annual fee for this card.
4. Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card from Chase. This card offers you points in the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards frequent flyer program, but it’s one of the most simple ways to earn a free flight. First, you earn 40,000 bonus points points after you spend $1,000 on new purchases within three months of account opening. You then earn double points on all Southwest purchases, and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. Points can be redeemed for any Southwest flight, and are worth about 1.5 cents each towards flights in their lowest fare class, called Wanna Get Away. There’s a $69 annual fee for this card, and you receive a 3,000 point bonus each year on your account anniversary.
5. Wyndham Rewards card from Barclaycard. Wyndham Rewards is one of the simplest, and best hotel loyalty programs. A free night in any hotel room, from one at the least expensive motel to those at the most luxurious resorts, is just 15,000 points. This card offers new applicants 30,000 bonus points, enough for two free nights. You get 15,000 bonus points after your first transaction, and another 15,000 after spending $1,000 on your card within 90 days of account opening.
You also get five points per dollar for on-property spend and maintenance, on Wyndham fees at Wyndham timeshare properties, on every participating hotel stay, and for Wyndham Vacation Rental North America properties. Double points are earned for gas, utility and grocery store purchases, and you earn one point per dollar spent elsewhere. Cardholders also receive Wyndham Platinum status and 6,000 points every year on their account anniversary. There’s a $75 annual fee for this card.
6. Bank of America® Travel Rewards. This major retail bank offers this card with a simple rewards formula. You get 1.5 points for each dollar spent on all your purchases, and points are worth one cent each as statement credits towards any travel purchase. Existing Bank of America cardholders can earn a 10% customer points bonus when you have an active Bank of America checking or savings account. You also earn 20,000 bonus points, worth $200 in travel statement credits, when you spend $1,000 on your card within 90 days of account opening. If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards client, you could increase that bonus to 25% - 75%. There’s no annual fee for this card.