The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a popular rewards credit card for travelers. Allowing you to earn 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. It’s a great card that helps you earn rewards when you’re on vacation or eating out.
- Credit Recommended (660-850):
- Intro Rewards Bonus
- 80,000 bonus points
- Rewards Rate 1
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel
- Foreign Trans Fee
- Annual Fee
- Regular APR
- 15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Credit Recommended
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
7 ways to maximize your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
To get the most bang for your buck, it’s important to use your card wisely. With some pre-planning, you can get more value from the card.
1. Redeem points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® program
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, you can redeem your rewards in several different ways, including statement credits and gift cards. However, the best way to redeem your points is through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® Travel Portal. Points redeemed through the Ultimate Rewards® program are worth 25% more than other redemption methods.
Each point is worth about 1 cent each, but when you redeem them through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal, their value jumps to 1.25 cent each. When spending at the 2X level on travel and dining, that means you can earn 2.5% cash back.
With the Chase Ultimate Rewards® program, you can book flights, hotel stays, cruises, and more.
2. Spend $4,000 within the first three months to earn the signup bonus
If you spend $4,000 within the first three months of opening an account, you’ll get a 80,000-point signup bonus. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
3. Use it when traveling internationally
If you’re looking for a card to use when traveling overseas, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a natural fit. The card has no foreign transaction fees, making the card a smart option for booking your travel and shopping internationally. And, because it’s a Visa, it’s widely accepted across the globe.
4. Consider point transfers
While redeeming your points is easiest through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal, you may get more value in some cases by instead doing a point transfer. With this approach, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards® points to a number of travel partners.
Travel partners include Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, British Airways Executive Club, and IHG® Rewards Club. Depending on the partner, you could get a better transfer than 1:1, giving you more cash back value for your points. We found some transfers worth as much as 1.6 cents each, giving you more value than simply redeeming your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
5. Refer friends
One unique perk that the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the ability to refer friends. You can invite friends to apply for the card, and, for every one that is approved, you’ll get 15,000 bonus points — a $150 value. You can earn up to 75,000 bonus points — a $750 value — a year by referring friends. This offer includes a maximum of 5 friend referrals per year.
6. Take advantage of travel protections
For additional cost savings, make sure you utilize the travel protections offered by the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. The card includes the following protections:
- Trip Delay Reimbursement: If your trip is delayed for eligible reasons, you can get reimbursed for up to $500 to cover the cost of things like food or lodging.
- Baggage Delay Reimbursement: If your bag doesn’t show up on time, you can get up to $100 a day for up to five days to cover essentials, like toiletries.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance: You can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels in the even your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness or severe weather.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Decline the rental company’s coverage and use your card when you rent a car and get coverage against damage or theft.
7. Supplement with another card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers valuable rewards on dining and travel, allowing you to earn 2X points per $1 spent. However, you’ll earn just 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
To boost your rewards, it makes sense to supplement your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card with another rewards credit card that offers a higher rate of return on other purchases, like gas or groceries. Depending on the card, you could get 1.5% cash back on all purchases, or up to 5% cash back on select spending categories. Using both cards can help you maximize your cash back.
To find another rewards credit card to use in addition to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, check out the best cards of 2019.
Editorial Disclaimer: Information in these articles is brought to you by CreditSoup. Banks, issuers, and credit card companies mentioned in the articles do not endorse or guarantee, and are not responsible for, the contents of the articles. The information is accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted; however, all credit card information is presented without warranty. Please check the issuer’s website for the most current information.