There’s no doubt that the Chase Freedom® (Expired Offer) was one of the most popular reward credit cards
of the last decade. With no annual fee, it was the Chase entry-level rewards card that found its way into a huge number of American Wallets. Most people just seemed to initially like its formula of offering 5% cash back on up to $1,500 spent each quarter at featured merchants, and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Chase later followed up on its success with Freedom by introducing the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, which features unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases and was designed for those who preferred the simplicity of a fixed percentage of cash back with each purchase vs. keeping up with the rotating reward spending categories involved with Freedom. Freedom Unlimited was an instant hit with consumers, but there’s even more value to this card when you look below the surface.
Take a look at these three outstanding features of the Chase Freedom Unlimited® that few people know about:
1. First year cash back potential
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® card has always offered a very solid 1.5% unlimited cash back on all purchases and after your first year or $20,000 spent, enjoy 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases. This card also offers no annual fee and 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on new purchases, then a variable APR of 16.49% - 25.24% applies.
2. Ability to transfer your cash back in the form of Ultimate Rewards® Points
With Freedom Unlimited your rewards are received as Ultimate Rewards® points, which is a loyalty program common to several different cards issued by Chase. When you only have a Chase Freedom® or Chase Freedom Unlimited® card, then you can redeem your points for just one cent each as statement credits, gift cards, hotel nights, flight fares or for merchandise.
If you have another Chase card that participates in the Ultimate Rewards® program, then you can transfer the points earned by your Chase Freedom Unlimited® to another card, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, or the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card. Those other cards can offer you valuable ways to redeem your points that the Chase Freedom® can’t, while other cards have the ability to transfer your points to miles with ten different frequent flyer programs or points with three different hotel programs. When you are able to use these points and miles for expensive award flights in business or first class, or luxury hotel stays, it’s possible to realize several cents in value per point redeemed.
Another way to get more value from your Ultimate Rewards® points is to redeem them directly for reservations made through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® travel center. While the Freedom® card (Expired Offer) offers one cent point towards travel reservations, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card lets you redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open. Furthermore, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® gives you $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Therefore, it’s ideal is to have both the Chase Freedom Unlimited® and another Chase card. You'll also earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. With this card, Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back. So, whether you enjoy your rewards in the form of cash back or simply use your Freedom Unlimited card to amass and transfer Ultimate Rewards® points for other types of rewards, the Freedom Unlimited card is a great card to keep at the top of your wallet.
3. Outstanding benefits.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® is known for offering competitive rewards and no annual fee, but few cardholders pause to take a look at the valuable cardholder benefits it comes with. For example, it includes a Purchase Protection Program that covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account. You will also receive Zero Liability Protection, which means that you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information. You will also receive Credit JourneySM, which gives you unlimited access to your credit score and more. It's free, even if you are not a Chase customer. Checking your score does not affect your credit.
By understanding these three additional features of the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, you can receive far more value from this card than you might have thought.
- Credit Recommended (660-850):
- Intro (Purchases)
- 0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
- Intro Rewards Bonus
- Up to $300 cash back
- Annual Fee
- Intro (Transfers)
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
- Regular APR
- 16.49% - 25.24% Variable
- Credit Recommended
- INTRO OFFER: Earn an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back!
- Enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more; 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year).
- After your first year or $20,000 spent, enjoy 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- Enjoy 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.49% - 25.24%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Unlimited® card
- Keep tabs on your credit health, Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
Editorial Disclaimer: Information in these articles is brought to you by CreditSoup. Banks, issuers, and credit card companies mentioned in the articles do not endorse or guarantee, and are not responsible for, the contents of the articles. The information is accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted; however, all credit card information is presented without warranty. Please check the issuer’s website for the most current information.