If you haven’t started thinking about filing your taxes, now is the time. April 15th is the deadline to get them submitted and it’s only a few weeks away. Deciding how you will file is the first step. Will you choose to hire a tax professional or to do them yourself? Many decide to file their taxes themselves using online forms or software. Let’s run through some pros and cons of preparing taxes yourself.
- Cost – paying for an online service or software is cheaper than having to pay a professional to do your taxes.
- Convenience – you can choose to file your taxes at any time of the day from the comfort of your own home. No appointment necessary.
- Better idea of your finances – filling out the information on your own will give you a better understanding of the tax process and will help you get a better grasp of your financial situation.
- More Risk – you are responsible for getting all the required information submitted to the IRS. Missing any information could come back to haunt you.
- Better for more simple returns – if you have your own business or any investments you’re probably better off hiring a professional to file your taxes.
Editorial Disclaimer: Information in these articles is brought to you by CreditSoup. Banks, issuers, and credit card companies mentioned in the articles do not endorse or guarantee, and are not responsible for, the contents of the articles. The information is accurate to the best of our knowledge when posted; however, all credit card information is presented without warranty. Please check the issuer’s website for the most current information.