Review: Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
October 10, 2018
Editorial Disclaimer: Information in these articles is brought to you by CreditSoup. Banks, issuers, and credit card companies mentioned in the articles do not endorse or guarantee, and are not responsible for, the contents of the articles.
If you have good to excellent credit and are looking for a rewards card that also has strong introductory offers, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card may be a wise choice. Offering an impressive signup bonus and a zero-interest introductory APR, you can quickly earn rewards and accomplish your financial goals.
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card allows you to earn points on routine purchases, such as gas and streaming services. But, if you’re a frequent traveler, you can also earn rewards for your flights and hotels.
If you have credit card debt and are focused on paying it down, you might want to consider doing a balance transfer with the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card. With 0% APR for 12 months, you could pay down your credit card debt without worrying about interest, helping you save money and get rid of it faster.
You can earn significant rewards with the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card:
Signup bonus: When you sign up for the card and spend at least $3,000 in the first three months, you’ll receive a signup bonus of 30,000 points. According to Wells Fargo, that’s a $300 value.
3X points: You’ll earn 3X points on gas, rideshare trips, flights, hotels, car rentals, and even popular streaming services. On all other purchases, you’ll earn one point per $1 spent.
Unlimited points: There’s no limit to how many points you can earn.
Redemption options: Redeem your points for flights or hotel stays, statement credits, gift cards, and more.
- Credit Recommended:
- Intro (Purchases)
- 0% for 12 months
- Intro (Transfers)
- 0% for 12 months
- Regular APR
- 14.49%-26.99% (Variable)
- Annual Fee
- Credit Recommended
- Intro Purchase APR
- New! Earn 30K bonus points when you spend $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months - that's a $300 cash redemption value
- Earn 3X points for eating out and ordering in
- Earn 3X points for gas stations, rideshares and transit
- Earn 3X points for travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
- Earn 1X points on other purchases
- $0 Annual Fee
- 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 14.49%-26.99% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rates and fees
- Select "Apply Now" to learn more about the product features, terms, and conditions
Besides the signing bonus and rewards points, the card also offers other benefits.
No blackout dates on air travel: When you redeem points through Wells Fargo’s Go Far® Rewards program, there are no blackout dates on air travel.
0% introductory APR: Receive a zero-interest APR on new purchases and balance transfers for up to 12 months.
Cell phone protection: You’ll get protection for your cell phone in the cases of damage or theft.
Retail protection: If items you purchase with the card are damaged or stolen within 90 days, you get can get coverage for eligible items.
Extended warranty: You’ll get double the manufacturer’s warranty of one year or less on eligible products purchased with your card.
Terms & Fees
Unlike many rewards credit cards, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card doesn’t have an annual fee. With most cards, you have to spend a certain amount to earn enough rewards to offset the annual fee, but that’s not an issue with this card.
However, there are some other fees to keep in mind.
- Purchase APR: Depending on your creditworthiness, you might qualify for an APR between 14.24% and 26.74%.
- Late payments: You’ll pay up to $37 for each late payment.
- Returned check or returned payment: You’ll pay up to $37.
- Transactions fees:
- Balance transfer: For balance transfers made within 120 days of opening an account, you’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater. After the initial 120 days, you’ll pay 5% or $5, whichever is greater.
- Cash advance: Cash advances have APRs ranging from 25.74% to 27.74%, depending on your creditworthiness. You’ll also pay a fee of $10 or 5% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater.
How to apply for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
To be eligible for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card, you must be citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. and have good to excellent credit. According to credit reporting agency Experian, that generally means your credit score needs to be between 700 and 850. Not sure if you fit the bill? You can check your credit score for free.
You can apply for the card online. You’ll need to provide some personal information, such as your name, address, Social Security number, and income. Most people will get a decision immediately on whether or not they’re approved. However, in some cases, additional information is required and the process can take longer.
The Bottom Line
For consumers with good to excellent credit who want to earn rewards on their travel and routine expenses, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card is a good option. With no annual fee and some above-average benefits, it’s a wise choice for many.
If you’re looking for other valuable rewards, check out our favorite travel credit cards.